Biomedical Informatics, Certificate
The IBI Certificate in Biomedical Informatics is a four-course sequence for non-informatics professionals designed to build the informatics community at Penn and to train informatics-literate clinicians and researchers who will have a broad understanding of the field of biomedical informatics.
Students in the Certificate in Biomedical Informatics Program can expect to obtain a working knowledge of biomedical informatics, its history, the current landscape, and future directions of the field. The four courses in this program also form the core of the Master of Biomedical Informatics (MBMI) program, so certificate students can expect to interact with a variety of students with diverse interests in informatics.
Certificate students who wish to expand their biomedical informatics skills in a degree program may apply to the MBMI program and, if accepted, may transfer credit from the certificate program to meet the requirements of the Master’s program.
This certificate requires the completion of four course units.
The certificate curriculum is designed to:
- Provide exposure to the field to those working in biomedical practice or research who would like to be “informatics aware”
- Build a community of those who can collaborate with informaticians and health information technology personnel
- Provide those with an interest in informatics opportunities to learn more about the field
Additionally, each course include hands-on experience in an active learning environment to increase skills and reinforce knowledge, such as:
- Informatics journal club to build critical appraisal skills
- Programming exercises
- Database development and manipulation assignments
- Practice in proposal writing and oral presentation for informatics projects
|BMIN 5010||Introduction to Biomedical and Health Informatics||1|
|BMIN 5020||Databases in Biomedical Research||1|
|BMIN 5030||Data Science for Biomedical Informatics||1|
|BMIN 5040||Special Topics in Biomedical and Health Informatics||1|
|Additional program requirements|
|Students must complete the online HIPAA and CITI training modules required of all PSOM students|
|Total Course Units||4|
The degree and major requirements displayed are intended as a guide for students entering in the Fall of 2022 and later. Students should consult with their academic program regarding final certifications and requirements for graduation.