Applied Positive Psychology, Certificate
Applied Positive Psychology is a discipline that examines the intersections of body, brain, culture, and science to develop tools and practices that enhance human flourishing and well-being. In this 4-course, 4 course unit course of study, you will be introduced to the field of positive psychology and will learn tools and practice strategies that support personal, organizational, and community well-being. The courses teach you the theoretical and empirical foundations of human flourishing, how well-being is measured, and what activities increase human flourishing in various contexts and settings.
Penn LPS Online courses in the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology are offered on an accelerated (8-week) schedule. Courses in the certificate program are largely asynchronous with some optional synchronous sessions to be scheduled by the instructors. For more information about specific course dates, please visit the Course Schedule page.
You have the option to enroll in individual courses without committing to the entire certificate, enjoying the flexibility and expertise offered by Penn LPS Online to suit your schedule and interests. Courses within the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology may be applied to our Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree, but do not count toward Penn's Master of Applied Positive Psychology degree.
The Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology prepares you to:
- Learn the historical and empirical foundations of positive psychology and the science of well-being
- Explore key research themes (e.g., positive emotions, strengths, engagement, relationships, meaning, and accomplishment) and their relevance in personal and organizational settings
- Apply research in positive psychology by practicing strategies that influence well-being
- Investigate applications of positive psychology in different professional settings, including business, education, healthcare, and the nonprofit sector
- Learn the basics of research, measurement, and evaluation in positive psychology
It is strongly recommended that students earning the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology first complete APOP 100 Introduction to Positive Psychology.
|Applied Positive Psychology Certificate|
|APOP 100||Introduction to Positive Psychology||1|
|APOP 120||Human Flourishing: Strengths and Resilience||1|
|APOP 200||Positive Psychology at Work||1|
|APOP 300||The Scientific Method in Positive Psychology||1|
|Total Course Units||4|
Courses are subject to change.
The degree and major requirements displayed are intended as a guide for students entering in the Fall of 2020 and later. Students should consult with their academic program regarding final certifications and requirements for graduation.