Urban Education, Minor

The Urban Education Minor is open to undergraduates in all disciplines, and requires seven CUs. Students choose from among three concentrations depending on interest in pursuing teaching certification or deepening one's background in urban education policy: Elementary Education; Secondary Education; Urban Education Policy, Research, and Practice. Students in all three concentrations take three core courses. The additional four requirements vary depending on the track.

Core Courses
URBS 2020Urban Education1
Select 1 Child or Adolescent Development course1
URED Capstone 11
The remaining 4 course units are specific to one of the following Tracks:4
Urban Education Policy, Research, and Practice Track
Select 1 Urban Context course
Select 1 Teaching and Learning course
Select 1 ABCS course - related to Urban Education
Select 1 of the following options to complete course #7:
Option 1: Policy Elective course
Option 2 : EDUC 5335 1
Option 3 : Select 1 Elective course 2
Elementary Education Track
Children's Literature
Science Methods: Project-Based Learning Approaches
Social Studies in the Elementary and Middle Schools
Literacy in Elementary/Middle Schools
Secondary Education Track
Select 1 Pedagogy & Curriculum (ABCS) course
Select 1 Content Area (ABCS) course
Teaching in the Middle and Secondary Schools: Math
Teaching English/Language and Literacy in Middle and Secondary Schools
Advanced Methods in Middle & Secondary Schools: Math 
Total Course Units7

Taken as Senior Thesis course or an Independent Study


If you plan to sub-matric into the Master's Program in Elementary Educartion


If you plan to sub-matric into the Master's Program in Secondary Education, take any graduate course "not" listed in the Secondary Education core


Includes two half-days in the field


Includes three half-days in the field


Requires Fall field placement


Requires Spring field placement

The degree and major requirements displayed are intended as a guide for students entering in the Fall of 2023 and later. Students should consult with their academic program regarding final certifications and requirements for graduation.