Each year approximately 3,000 Penn students participate in a global experience as part of their academic career at Penn. Of these students, about 1,000 engage in a global opportunity through the office of Penn Abroad.
- Study Abroad allows undergraduate students to spend a semester or academic year abroad and earn Penn credit.
- Penn Global Seminars are intensive semester-long seminars with short-term international travel components.
- Global Research & Internship Program placements allow students to go abroad for 8 to 12 weeks over the summer to pursue research or an internship, with funding awarded to all accepted students.
In addition to the opportunities made available by Penn Abroad, other global opportunities for Penn undergraduate students exist across campus. These include:
- Penn Summer Abroad – offers faculty-led undergraduate courses offered in the summer through the School of Arts and Sciences to a range of international destinations each year.
- Wharton International Program – provides short term international business courses at three global locations each year.
- Penn Nursing Short Term & Independent Programs – provides students with a number of elective courses that can be taken abroad, including some clinical elective opportunities.
- Penn Engineering – provides a range of programs for undergraduate Engineering students including Summer Study Abroad, International Summer Research and Service Learning Opportunities.
Students are encouraged to speak to their department and home school about additional study abroad opportunities that may exist.